Sunday, March 8, 2009

Training Hike - Billy Goat Trail

I've probably hiked the Billy Goat Trail at Great Falls a dozen times, but it never gets old for me. My favorite parts are the rock scrambles and the places where you have to hop from rock to rock. I love taking people on this trail for the first time so that I can see them really enjoy it. The best part is the feeling of accomplishment they experience when they get up that one really steep climb (it looks harder than it actually is). I've never lost anyone yet!


Most of the trail follows the Potomac River, and there's usually all kinds of wildlife, including a large blue heron who is always hanging out at the same spot along the canal. I've also seen owls, water snakes, turtles, deer, and hawks. We had beautiful weather and a fun group for our first official training hike. 

More photos are available here.

No comments: