Monday, August 6, 2007

Training Hike #6

Okay, so there wasn't really a training hike #6. We had a free weekend where we were supposed to plan our own hike. I fully intended to do a short hike on Sunday until I found out my brother Jason was coming home. Instead, we went out to brunch with my parents, then my mom and I did a jigsaw puzzle until I settled down for a short nap that afternoon (must've been the mimosas).

I spent all day Saturday at Virgin Fest, the outdoor music festival outside Baltimore. Now, you may not consider this any form of training, but I'll tell you that it was a lesson in endurance and hydration. The temperature made it to the upper 90s (with a heat index past 100 degrees), and my friends and I were there for about 8 hours. I was on my feet dancing practically the entire day, so I felt like I got some exercise (granted, there was no elevation gain or heavy backpack to wear) and practiced drinking lots and lots of water.

The highlights of the day were seeing Paolo Nutini, Peter, Bjorn and John (and their roadie who did their soundcheck in Swedish obscenities, which I happened to understand), the Beastie Boys rocking it out as they always do, and the Police performing all my favorite songs. My first concert in high school was Sting's "The Soul Cages" tour (yes, I'm dating myself) and he looks and sounds just as good now as he did then. Because Virgin Mobile was one of the sponsors of the festival, there was a giant scrolling screen above the stage where, in between bands, concert-goers could send text messages to be posted. Magically, one appeared that said "Marry me, Maya. Love, Sting." Needless to say, I accepted.

No comments: