Saturday, July 7, 2007

Training Hike #2 - Great Falls National Park

This morning was our group's second training hike in Great Falls National Park. Unfortunately, my new cell phone's alarm clock got the better of me, and didn't go off. I made it to the park about half an hour late, but had missed the rest of the group. Instead of trying to catch up to them on the looped River Trail (which I hiked last year), I decided to do a 1.5-hour out-and-back and meet up with them at the end. I didn't bring my camera with me on my solo hike, but I wish I had. I saw this really cool lizard with black and yellow stripes that faded to a bright blue tail. (Later, after a brief Google search, I found out that it's a Five-Lined Skink.)

A heat wave has hit northern Virginia. It was definitely in the 90s by 9am, and of course, very, very humid. I had plenty of water and moisture-wicking clothes, but MAN it was warm. I hiked along the trail that overlooks the Potomac River, the falls, and Mather Gorge (the steep canyon created by the falls). Fortunately, the trail was pretty shady so I could stay out of the sun.

I eventually rendezvous-ed with the group near the falls overlook. I had my camera with me by then, so we posed for a couple of photos:


No comments: