Friday, March 7, 2008

Training Hike #1 - Rock Creek Park

I have lived in the DC area for over 10 years, and I had no idea there were actually hiking trails in Rock Creek Park. Our first training hike for the Rocky Mountains took place on a rainy Saturday, but over 20 hikers showed up and braved the weather. We started out near Pierce Mill (not far from the National Zoo) and trekked around for about 2 hours, criss-crossing Rock Creek a couple of times. We also learned one of the primary rules for our hikes -- no hiking in groups smaller than 4 people. For safety reasons, you want at least 3 other people with you at all times. If one person is injured on the trail and can't walk, one person stays with them while the other two go for help. Never hike alone in the woods, not even Rock Creek Park (known in 2001 news as the site where Chandra Levy's remains were discovered).

Because of the rain, the pictures didn't come out particularly well, but here is a link to my online photo album.

And here's a picture of a soggy me in my rain gear that one of my fellow hikers took.

No comments: