Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Training Hike #2 - Billy Goat Trail

I have probably hiked the Billy Goat Trail in Maryland's C&O Canal National Historic Park at least 10 times, but it is still my favorite local trail. The landscape changes each time, depending on the time of year, recent rains, and how high or low the Potomac waters are. For this week's hike, the river was higher than I've ever seen it. When we reached the "beach" area halfway through the trail, there was hardly any dry beach at all!

My hike group consisted of 8 people, half of whom had never hiked this trail before. I love taking people on this trail for the first time. I especially love seeing their reaction upon seeing the daunting sheer wall about 1/3 of the way in -- usually "oh my god, we're going up there?!?" or something to that effect. But the sense of accomplishment they feel once they get to the top is priceless.

We lucked out weather-wise. The forecast called for rain, but we got 60-degrees and sunny. I snapped a couple of good photos of the river and canal, as well as some local wildlife (turtles and a great blue heron). Click to see my online album.

Here's a picture of me that my friend Patrick took on the trail:




No comments: