Friday, June 6, 2008

Leaving for the Rockies!

I can't believe my big hike is only 3 days away! I fly out early Saturday morning to Denver, then drive to Estes Park with my hike buddy, Ellen. She's never been to Colorado, so we're planning to stop in Boulder on the way. I used to travel to Golden all the time for my old job because my client was there. I remember the first time I drove west from Denver to Golden, which is in the foothills of the Rockies. When I saw the spires of those enormous mountains rising up to the sky, I swear I heard angels singing a chorus. I can't wait to do that drive again!

The plan is to stay in Estes Park for 3 nights at the Stanley Hotel, the inspiration for Stephen King's "The Shining." It is supposed to be haunted, so I'm hoping to go on one of their ghost tours. But if a little kid comes up to me wiggling his finger and hissing "red rum," I am SO outta there. We spend two days acclimating since the elevation for the hike is higher than we're used to (my trail starts out around 9,400 ft. and climbs to 11,006 ft.). There is a very good chance there will be snow on the trail as well - I have not trained for that, so wish me luck! Then on Monday my group starts out at 6:25am. Ouch. I better get some sleep this weekend...

After the hike, Ellen and I are spending the night with a friend in Denver, then we're taking an additional week to do a road trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. We're spending three nights in Jackson Hole, and two nights in West Yellowstone. On our last night, we're visiting a friend of mine from college who works at Chico Hot Springs Resort near Bozeman (where we fly out the following morning). She got us a room at the resort, which is just fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the road trip and trying out my new DSLR camera (now that I have figured out how to use it).

First I must finish packing and make sure I make my flight in the morning. Wish me luck and send "happy foot" thoughts my way on Monday!

Here is a picture of me that my hike buddy, Barbara, took when we hiked Overall Run. I think it looks like I'm wearing a crown of leaves - a very "nature chick" picture. Guess that means I'm ready to go!



1 comment:

Ramune said...

Good luck on your big hike! I am sure it will be fantastic and full of amazing views. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.